Monday, May 19, 2014
For this current event project, I'm basing my art piece on the story of a bunch of coal miners in Turkey. Around 300 miners were trapped and so far 274 have been confirmed dead. This is my idea: using a gravestone to represent a coal mine and tally marks to acknowledge the dead. I plan to do a resist painting using acrylic paint and India ink.
Thursday, May 15, 2014
Our chalk wall mural is finally complete! It took a long time to finish it and with weather and planning decisions I'm so glad we have an end result to be proud of.
Through out this entire project, collaborating with my fellow group members has been the most fun and at times most challenging part. While the original sketch was my idea, it was extremely important to integrate everyone else's thoughts and ideas onto the tunnel as well.
This project presented many challenges. Not only did we have to pick a good spot (that followed the schools limitations) and be careful about its exposure to all the people walking in the school but we also had a task in trying to get the chalk to stay on the wall and look the way we intended. We picked a pretty obvious spot in the courtyard, and got lucky that it wasn't damaged during the creation process.
Monday, April 14, 2014
My idea was to create something using the idea of perspective, and possibly turn it into something inspiring or interactive. I've always loved the concept of the free expression tunnel at NCSU, and I want to try to recreate it. My group as of now includes Elora, Jay, Anna, Ashley, Joseph, and myself. I think we will be able to create something unique and really cool. My first sketch was very rough and highly inaccurate
Tuesday, April 8, 2014
This project was something very different from most of the projects I've done. The incorporation of paint and photography added another level of organization that I had to try a few different ways to display.
These are the photos I took over a week in which I had bought some daisies and let them die:
I originally wanted to do the photographs in black and white, but I could not get the lighting exactly the same each day so I put the photos in black and white instead
Sunday, March 16, 2014
For this project, I want to do something in regards to the use of time in the death and wilting of plants. Is hope to use the contrast of a typically happy daisy with the process of its death to show that over time, things die.
My original idea is to photgraph a real daisy over time and capture the progression of its vibrance in he first days, and how it wilts and loses its petals over time. Then I want to paste the photographs sequentially on a board and add some artistic detailing and the words "He loves me, he loves me not" somewhere around the photos.
I think I'm taking a risk in choosing to photograph a real flower, as I cannot control how it wilts or loses its petals, but I really want to attempt to make it work and manipulate my plan as I go along to get my original idea displayed!
After multiple adjustments and switches from my original idea for this project, I've finally reached the final product. I wish I could do more with the donut, and the spacing on the canvas, but I'm overall happy with the end composition of the piece. I think my craftsmanship in the stencil and the lettering are my strong suits in this piece.
Sunday, February 23, 2014
Artists develop art making skills
I added some free hand lettering with the title "Breakfast at Tiffany's" to the blank space in my canvas. It has been a whole since I last painted, so winging the lettering was difficult and time consuming, but I'm really happy with the end result!
I still relied on the opinions of my table and Mr. Sands for deciding to change some major elements I had originally planned for my piece. They helped me come up with the more stylistically appealing donut instead of the bacon, which I think will end up working much better.
Artists solve problems
When I realized that the bacon wasn't working well as far as positioning and aesthetics, I was very troubled with howbto complete the piece while incorporating appropriation. I am unexpectedly going with a donut instead of bacon, because it fills the space and looks better with the piece over all.
Sunday, February 9, 2014
Artists communicate through their work
I really enjoy the whole look of pop art, but I also wanted my piece to be more simplistic and focus on the main theme of appropriation, when this piece is complete I think the idea of a classic Audrey Hepburn pop piece will come across, especially with my use of a stencil and spray paint.
When I had originally come up with the idea of using "Breakfast at Tiffany's" as a play in words, I had actually thought about not changing the cigarette in the original picture, and just placing breakfast foods around her. But one of my fellow artists at my table suggested that as a bigger pun, paint a piece of bacon in her hand instead of the cigarette, which I thought was brilliantly more stylish and simple than my original idea.
For this project, I had decided the idea I wanted to represent but could not figure out how to go about it. Mr. Sands recommended I create a stencil of Audrey Hepburn to get my picture onto the canvas. I had never made a stencil by hand before, and while working with an exacto knife wasn't all that enjoyable, I was pleased with the end result.
Monday, January 27, 2014
For this assignment, I wanted to capture a less obvious point of tension often glanced over in our everyday lives. Telephone wires came to mind due to the literal tension they hold between each pole, and the figurative tension and anxiety in people they can cause when there are
problems with the power.